The first Columbia Basin Rodeo was held in 1943 at the lower end of Wheeler Road, adjacent to the present day Safeway. By horseback, jeep, and airplane, wild horses were rounded up to use for the bareback and saddle bronc events. Horses were rounded up from as far south as the Frenchman Hills and as far west as Vantage. The last wild horse roundup was held in 1953. Since that time, the Columbia Basin Rodeo Association has relied on the professional bucking stock. The current name, Moses Lake Roundup, pays homage to the origins of this great rodeo.
Having surpassed 65 years of producing rodeos, the Columbia Basin Rodeo Association has enjoyed an exciting and colorful history. The members of the association have never lost faith in the worthiness of this great rodeo and continually donate hundreds of hours each year to build on the proud tradition of the Moses Lake Roundup. As a non-profit organization, the association also contributes to the community by way of donating scholarships to local high school seniors and our queen, as well as sponsoring area youth baseball and rodeo teams.